.quickedit{display:none;}

Friday, January 27, 2012

TGIF and Pineapple Stuffing.


TGIF!

The weekend is finally upon us and I am super excited!  It’s not like I have anything marvelous planned, but I look just look forward to sleeping in an hour or two later, running earlier in the day, straightening up my house, and just being with my family. 

Yesterday at our early morning faculty meeting, my team was assigned breakfast duty.  At my school, we like to eat…so whenever there is an opportunity where food can be slipped in, we find it. 

I decided to make an old tried, but true recipe that I’ve had in my basket for many years.  It is a delicious casserole that can be made for breakfast, like I did yesterday, or it is amazing paired with a ham for dinner.

As you see in the picture, the recipe card is there.  However, I always make some changes for a few reasons.


1.     The crushed pineapple that I find comes in 20-ounce cans, rather than the 16 ounces the recipe suggests. 
2.     The white bread that I get has about 16 slices of bread (or so) so I try to use the whole thing (minus the ends).
3.     By adding the extra bread and pineapple, I can bake my casserole in a 9 x 13 dish, rather than in a pie plate.  This serves more people.
4.     As a teacher, I notice words that are misspelled and cinnamon is one of them! Who wrote that??

When I make this recipe for a breakfast, I try to cut the bread into cubes the night before and place them in a large plastic bag. I also measure out the sugar in a large bowl and set out the butter so it comes to room temperature. 

Here is my recipe:

Pineapple Stuffing

1 stick butter at room temperature
4 eggs
¾ cup sugar
20-ounce can of crushed pineapple
15-16 slices of white bread
cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with cooking spray.

First, cream the eggs, sugar, and butter together in a large bowl. Add the drained pineapple and combine. 
  Finally, add the cubed bread and mix until coated. 


Place the mixture into a sprayed baking dish and sprinkle with cinnamon.  Bake for about 30 minutes, or until golden brown.  


Tada!  The finished product!!  This dish can be served hot or at room temperature, so it is perfect to take to a function…plus it makes a great brunch addition.  


Here is a picture of my crazy team, sans Katie.  Overall, I think we did a great job since it was only 7:30 in the morning! 

As you can tell, this recipe isn’t exactly low fat or full of nutritious ingredients...but it sure is good…and worth it!

Enjoy!

Tracy

No comments:

Post a Comment