.quickedit{display:none;}

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Falafel Chicken in a Pita with Broccoli Slaw and Hummus Sauce.



 My girls LOVE chicken fingers, all crispy and baked in the oven.  And they love the fried kind even more, but those are saved for special occasions (like restaurants).  I usually make my own chicken fingers at home by coating pieces of organic chicken breast in Dijon mustard, and then dipping them in seasoned panko, which are flaky breadcrumbs used in Japanese cuisine.  They are a hit on most nights and I wanted to try something a little different.  This recipe appeared as I was cruising through the Food Network website, so I decided to start from there.   Below is the link to the original recipe found online at Food Network.  I made a few substitutions according to my family’s tastes. 

Recipe:
Cooking Spray
3 skinless, boneless chicken breasts (about 1 1/4 pounds), sliced into 1/4-inch-thick strips
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil 
1/2 cup falafel mix
2 whole-wheat pitas, halved
6 tablespoons hummus 
Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
Dash red (cayenne) pepper
4 cups broccoli slaw
1 cup chopped fresh parsley 
Kosher salt


Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.  Set a rack on a rimmed baking sheet and coat with cooking spray. Toss the chicken with the olive oil in a large bowl, then add the falafel mix and toss to coat.



Arrange the chicken on the rack and bake until golden and cooked through, about 10 minutes. 

While the chicken is baking, stack the pita halves and wrap them in foil and warm in the oven, about 5 minutes.


Meanwhile, mix the hummus, lemon zest and juice, cayenne pepper and 3 tablespoons water in a small bowl. Remove 2 tablespoons of the hummus sauce and reserve.



In a large bowl, add the broccoli slaw and parsley.  Add the remaining hummus sauce and toss. Season with salt.



Bake at 425 degrees for 10 - 15 minutes until golden brown.


Stuff the slaw into the pitas and add the chicken.  Drizzle the hummus sauce over the top.


For the recipe that inspired this dish, go to:

My ten year old gave this recipe a 9 out of 10 and my seven year old gave "just" the chicken a perfect 10.  They are tough critics, so I guess I have a winner! 

Enjoy your day!

Tracy

No comments:

Post a Comment