.quickedit{display:none;}

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Spicy Cheeseburger Soup (Club).



Good Morning and Happy Thursday!  I have an exciting and delicious recipe to share with you today.  It is a favorite of my family, as well as my friends at school.  

But before I do, I have to show you the pretty snow that was in my front yard yesterday afternoon.  We finally had some of the "white stuff" here in the Lehigh Valley and I got a little excited.  




Ok, on to the soup...

Every Wednesday at work, we have “Soup Club” where people take turns bringing in crock-pots of soup to share.  Since we usually have about three to four people signed up during any given week, and this week it was my turn.  The rule is: if you participate, then you can have soup.  Easy enough, right? 

Here’s a look at some of the crock-pots full of the yummy soup concoctions: Spinach Tortellini soup, a Southwest Chicken Soup (from Real Simple's website), and a Spicy Rice soup.  I’d say it was a good day for the Soup Club members! 



Here I am with two members of my 4th grade team and we cheated by tasting the soup before our scheduled lunch.  It’s just so hard to resist!!


Today’s recipe is Spicy Cheeseburger soup.  It is a creamy soup complete with ground beef, vegetables, and cheese with a little kick.  Several years ago, the recipe was given to me by a former colleague, so I decided to continue on with the tradition.  Most cheeseburgers don’t have the zip that this soup gets from the jalapeno pepper – and it’s a fine trade-off for a bun!


Here’s the recipe!


Spicy Cheeseburger Soup

2 cups potatoes, cubed
2 carrots, grated
1 small onion, diced
¼ cup green pepper, seeded and chopped
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded, deveined and chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tablespoon beef bouillon granules
½ teaspoon salt
1 pound ground beef, browned and drained
2 ½ cups milk, divided
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
½ pound (8 ounces) American cheese, cubed
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
 ½ pound (8 ounces) bacon, cooked and crumb  


In a large stockpot, combine 1 ½ cups water, potatoes, carrots, onion, bell pepper, jalapeno pepper, bouillon, garlic, and salt.   

I used a food processor to grate the carrots.


Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. 




 Stir in beef and 2 cups of the milk.  Heat through.


In a small bowl, combine flour and the remaining milk and stir until smooth.  Gradually stir into soup.  Bring to a boil and cook, stirring, until thickened and bubbling, about 2 minutes.


Reduce heat and stir in cheese until melted.  Sliced American cheese is fine, just cut the entire brick into cubes.  Add cayenne pepper if desired.  I didn’t add the cayenne because I thought the soup had enough “kick” for my family’s tastes. 



I cooked the bacon in the oven at 350 degrees for approximately 30 minutes.  This is a great way to cook a lot of bacon all at once.
 

 YUM!



Top with bacon just before serving.  Tada...the final masterpiece!
 




This recipe serves six people.  To make enough for an entire crock-pot, I tripled the recipe so I had enough to take to school (and for dinner the night before).

Although this soup isn’t completely low-fat (I used skim milk to help reduce some of the calories).  It is ridiculously delicious and well-worth the splurge!

Enjoy!

Tracy





















 














No comments:

Post a Comment