.quickedit{display:none;}

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Thanksgiving...Better Late Than Never

Although my Thanksgiving recap is a few days past due, I thought that it was better late than never to post about our time with the in-laws in central PA.  After running five miles, we jumped in the car on Thursday morning and drove to Juniata County to visit Fred's family for a homemade, Pennsylvania Dutch-inspired meal that was second to none.  

To start, I brought over one of my favorite recipes ever...Ina's Rosemary Cashews.  I know I've mentioned them before, but they are super easy and a crowd pleaser every time.


My mother-in-law picked up this pumpkin-shaped bread at a local bakery near her.  Under all of the orange color, it was basically a country white bread in disguise. 


Beth {my sister-in-law} told me to bring something "green" for the table, so I tossed up an arugula salad with feta, pear, candied walnuts, sunflower and pumpkin seeds, and dried cranberries with a homemade dressing. 


Ready, set go...time to eat!


The abundance of desserts was overwhelming, including this gorgeous coconut cream pie courtesy of my mother-in-law. 



We stayed overnight and this was the morning view from their front porch.  It was breathtaking.


On the way home, we made a quick stop for gas, coffee, and breakfast.  I settled for a ham and cheese sandwich on a pretzel roll.  Not very healthy, I know.   


On Sunday, my sister hosted a "Thanksgiving" dinner for my side of the family since we weren't together on the actual holiday.  Before we ate, my mom and dad presented us with framed t-shirts of our most notable races in college.  Since we are both now members of the Moravian College Hall of Fame, they wanted to do a little something to show how proud they are of us. 


My sister will be the first one to tell you that she isn't the best cook in the kitchen, but the meal was tremendous, regardless of what she may think.


Yesterday I went to New York City with my mom and daughter to see the Christmas Spectacular at Radio City Music Hall.  Stay tuned tomorrow for more on that fabulous trip!   

No comments:

Post a Comment