.quickedit{display:none;}

Thursday, December 6, 2012

Neen's Chex Mix Recipe & Hibachi Birthday Dinner

Every year, my husband makes his grandmother's "Party Mix" for the holidays.  Fred is very particular with this specific tradition, so much, that he looked at me like I was crazy when I wanted to make it for the summer weekend at the cabin.  Tradition is very big in Fred's family.  For example, when he added the ingredients needed for the mix onto my grocery list, he was very specific.  This picture was on Twitter, but it related to this post so I thought I would put it on the blog.  Apparently, I was not allowed to deviate from his list.  No alterations were accepted.


So onward I went, buying the proper ingredients needed.  No substitutions. Period.


The recipe is quite simple, but certainly not healthy.  Check it out...

Neen's Party Mix

1 box of box of Rice Chex
1 box of Wheat Chex
1 box of Cheerios
1 pound {16 ounces} bag of pretzel sticks
1 pound of butter
2 tablespoons onion salt
2 tablespoons Accent salt
1 pound cashews, salted and roasted

Preheat oven to 225 - 250 degrees.  Melt butter in a large roaster in the oven.  Add all other ingredients and bake for two hours.  Stir every 15 minutes and let cool.  Store in an airtight container.  


Note:  This is the original recipe but next time I think that we could use less of the seasonings to reduce the sodium level.  Also...we use less pretzels too, since they are usually left at the end.  

On another note, my stepdaughter's 11th birthday is this coming Saturday, so we decided to celebrate a little early at our local hibachi restaurant...her choice!  We joined her mom, stepdad and stepsister for a night of fried rice, noodles, veggies and meat...cooked hibachi style, onion volcano and all!




Afterwards we took a short detour to drive by one of the most decorated houses in Bethlehem.  Move over, Clark Griswold...you can't hold a candle to this one! 


Crazy, right?


Enjoy your day!








No comments:

Post a Comment