.quickedit{display:none;}

Monday, January 21, 2013

Polar Plunge Recap

This past Saturday I participated in a Polar Bear Plunge to help raise money for Special Olympics of Pennsylvania.  If you missed the post about this event, you can catch it here.  Our school put in a team and with some major peer pressure including encouragement from students, I finally said "yes" to this ridiculous and crazy event about three days prior.  This year their goal was to raise $65,000 however their success was overwhelming and they raised $80,000!  

To begin the day, I ventured out for a five mile run from my parents' house.  Here I am with their spoiled dog.  He definitely has the life....


After running and a quick shower, I headed on down to the festivities to join my team...The Shivering Sharks.


One of the parents from another classroom volunteered to make chili to keep us warm while we were waiting for the plunge.  They own a catering company somewhere in the area and their chili was outstanding!  
 

This was the scene of the event...a spot along the Delaware River and you can see New Jersey over there on the other side.  They had two tents which were heated...one for women and one for men.  Right after the dip in the Delaware, plungers could run in there and change quickly out of their wet clothes.  I didn't realize it at the time, but those tents were REALLY necessary!


A view of the river...




My two buddies on the fourth grade team...Givon and Shawn...


Dunkin Donuts was a sponsor {which was key} and many took advantage of the mini cups of free coffee they were handing out to the crowd.


Fred came out to support us.  He was a man that wore many hats that day...cheerleader, photographer and valuable/cell phone handler.  Good thing he came!


Even the "Easton Assassin" Larry Holmes and retired NBA player Darryl Dawkins were on hand to give a word or two of encouragement and greet the crowd.  They roamed around all morning chatting with plungers and Special Olympians.   


Here's our team before we made our way down to the water.  I had butterflies in my stomach, similar to those I get before a race.  Too weird...


Waiting for our turn!


One last photo op...the calm before the storm!


If you look closely, I am on the left of each picture in the red sweatshirt and pink boots.  I thought I was being pretty slick wearing rainboots because I only wanted to go in to my ankles.  However, once I got in I waded in to my knees and the boots filled with water.  Definitely a poor decision on my part and I will reconsider my choice of footwear next year.   


Here I am running to that heated tent.  Holy smokes...my feet hurt!  After exiting the water, the pain hit and my feet could barely move.  I can't imagine what it would feel like to fall in icy cold water and not have a way out.  Some said that once they got in and began to head back out, they had difficulty moving their muscles because it was so cold.  Crazy!  Also...check out Jenna's face {the one in the red ahead of me}! 



Once we were all changed and warm, we made our way up this staircase to our cheering section. 




For me, it definitely was an experience.  Even though I didn't go in the water too far, I put myself WAY out of my comfort zone but it was all for a good cause.    


I want to thank all of the people who sponsored me {and trusted that I would actually attempt putting my big toe in the water}.  We are already talking about doing this again next year so I guess I have to start getting myself motivated.  I don't think it will be all that hard.  Maybe I'll even go in up to my waist?  We shall see.  Only time will tell...  



5 comments:

  1. Love it! Thanks for sharing all the pictures! I think it will be easier to do next year since we know what to expect! Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this whole recap. Great job! :) Meghan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Meghan! I loved it...despite the feeling after getting out of the water!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you really insult the real participants by dipping your feet in the water, fully clothed and wearing rain boots?

    ReplyDelete