.quickedit{display:none;}

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Mental Break

I love running.  I have been a runner {off and on} for over twenty years and I can say it is one of the most important things that I have in my life.  Running has taught me how to be self-disciplined, self-motivated and most of all…how to set and accomplish goals..both on and off of the track.    


I cherish the moments I have out on the roads, especially because just about every mile is scheduled around my family.  It's my time to think, reflect and relax.  I feel rejuvenated when I return from a daily run whether it was three miles or 12 miles, and that feeling is incomparable to other workouts…in my opinion.

So why am I feeling so unmotivated to get out the door?  My beloved sport has recently become a chore I’m thinking that the cold weather and icy roads may have a little to do with my lack of interest, but I’m not quite sure. 

Many people say enlisting a training partner is helpful, but honestly, I have a very hard time finding someone who can run with me on my schedule.

Others say to find a coach.  I have a coach and he is wonderful, but I’m still feeling lackluster when it comes to training. 

I am a true believer that every competitive runner should take a break from hard training and racing at least once per year to rebuild and reset goals.  But right about now I don’t fall into that category either. 

So what is it then?  Why am I in a rut?  After talking to some people and reading some articles, I definitely think that I need a mental break and that is exactly what I plan on doing.  For the next few days, I plan on filling my running time with other forms of exercise whether it be yoga, P90X, or the elliptical {yuck}.  

And after a few days off, I will be sure to report back.  Hopefully my little stint of being "oomphless" will pass and I will be good to go and ready to focus once again on my training.    

No comments:

Post a Comment